Symptoms and Diagnosis
By Lori Alma
- Common Symptoms of Cystic Fibrosis
- Advanced Symptoms and Complications of Cystic Fibrosis
- Screening and Diagnostic Tests
- Genetic Testing: Pinpointing the Problem in DNA
Common Symptoms of Cystic Fibrosis
No two people experience cystic fibrosis in exactly the same way, but there are some symptoms that most people with the disease can expect to have at some point.
- Cystic Fibrosis Symptom Overview
- The Struggle to Grow and Gain Weight
- Steatorrhea - When Food Doesn't Digest Properly
- Germs that Can Cause Deadly Lung Infections
Advanced Symptoms and Complications of Cystic Fibrosis
When cystic fibrosis goes untreated or is poorly controlled, symptoms indicating that the disease is causing problems start to appear. Sometimes, even when people with cystic fibrosis are doing everything right and are responding well to treatment, complications will still arise.
- Diabetes in Adults with CF
- Urinary Incontinence in Women with CF
- Diagnosis of CF in Adults - Are the Symptoms the Same?
- Clubbed Fingers - When the Body is Starving for Oxygen
Screening and Diagnostic Tests
Testing for cystic fibrosis can be done before a baby is born, immediately after birth, or at any age that symptoms begin to appear.
- Overview of Diagnostic Tests for Cystic Fibrosis
- Newborn Screening - Catching CF Early
- Sweat Test - The Most Common Test for Cystic Fibrosis
- PFTs - Keeping Tabs on Lung Function
Genetic Testing: Pinpointing the Problem in DNA
The gene that causes cystic fibrosis was discovered in 1989. That discovery opened the door to precise genetic testing that can accurately diagnosis cystic fibrosis even before symptoms appear.